When does Child Maintenance Stop?

When does Child Maintenance Stop?

What age does the child maintenance stop?

Child maintenance can be either:
  1. made through the Child Maintenance Service - a government scheme
  2. a private arrangement between you and the other parent
You need to have child maintenance arrangements for children under 16 (or under 20 if they’re in approved education or training). Therefore maintenance must be paid up until the child's 16th birthday or 20th birthday depending on their education or training status. See below for information on this.

If you make a private arrangement between you and the other party then you can continue paying after then if you want to.

Approved education

It appears that the government's definition of approved education for Child Maintenance is the same as its list for Child Benefit.

Education must be full-time (more than an average of 12 hours a week supervised study or course-related work experience) and can include:
  1. A levels or similar, for example Pre-U, International Baccalaureate
  2. T levels
  3. Scottish Highers
  4. NVQs and other vocational qualifications up to level 3
  5. home education - if it started before your child turned 16 or after 16 if they have special needs
  6. traineeships in England
Courses are not approved if paid for by an employer or ‘advanced’, for example a university degree or BTEC Higher National Certificate

Approved training

Approved training should be unpaid and can include:
  1. Foundation Apprenticeships or Traineeships in Wales
  2. Employability Fund programmes in Scotland
  3. United Youth Pilot (if started before 1 June 2017), PEACE IV Children and Young People 2.1 or Training for Success in Northern Ireland

Courses that are part of a job contract are not approved.

    • Related Articles

    • Child Maintenance: Calculations

      If you need to calculate how much your child maintenance should be then you can use the child maintenance calculator on the Government website. The calculator: gives you an amount to discuss with the other parent if you’re arranging child maintenance ...
    • Child Maintenance: Information

      Overview Child maintenance is an arrangement between you and the other parent of your child. It covers how your child’s living costs will be paid for when one of the parents no longer lives with them. It’s made when you’ve separated from the other ...
    • Child Maintenance Service: Complain

      If you are unhappy with the service you have received from the Child Maintenance Service then you may wish to make a complaint. There is more information on the Government website. Find out about making a Child Maintenance Service complaint ...
    • Child Maintenance: Variation: Expenses

      The following information is taken from the Child Maintenance Service leaflet ' How we work out child maintenance'. A link is provided at the bottom. Expenses a paying parent can ask to be considered A paying parent can ask to take certain expenses ...
    • Consent Order: Child Arrangements

      What is a Consent Order? If you and your ex partner agree on child arrangements but you would like a legal document to formalise your agreement then you can apply for a consent order. A consent order is a legal document that confirms your agreement. ...

    About Dads Unlimited

    Dads Unlimited supports the emotional safety of men and those they care about through three key areas; supporting male victims of domestic abuse, supporting men with family separation; and supporting men’s mental health. All of our services use an evidence-based, trauma-informed, person-centred approach. You can find out more on our website www.dadsunltd.org.uk

    If you register with Dads Unlimited, you agree to be bound by our privacy policy.