Child Maintenance: Variation: Expenses

Child Maintenance: Variation: Expenses

The following information is taken from the Child Maintenance Service leaflet ' How we work out child maintenance'. A link is provided at the bottom.

Expenses a paying parent can ask to be considered

A paying parent can ask to take certain expenses into account when Child Maintenance is being calculated. These are called ‘special expenses’ and can reduce the paying parent’s gross income figure at Step 2.

You can apply for a ‘special expenses variation’ for:
  • the cost of keeping up regular contact with a child or children you are paying child maintenance for – for example, the cost of fuel to travel between your home and the child’s home (must be at least £10 a week)
  • costs connected with supporting a child with a disability or a long-term illness who lives with the paying parent or their partner
  • repaying debts from the former relationship – for example, if you are paying a car loan for a car the receiving parent has kept (must be at least £10 a week)
  • boarding school fees for a child or children that qualify for child maintenance – but only the everyday living costs or ‘boarding’ part of the fees (must be at least £10 a week)
  • making payments on a mortgage, loan or insurance policy for the home that the paying parent and receiving parent used to share – the receiving parent and the child or children must still live in the home and the paying parent must have no legal or ‘equitable’ interest in it (must be at least £10 a week).
A paying parent can’t ask to take special expenses into account if their gross income is less than £7 a week or if they are getting benefits.

If you have an active CMS case then you need to contact the CMS on 0345 266 8792

    • Related Articles

    • When does Child Maintenance Stop?

      What age does the child maintenance stop? Child maintenance can be either: made through the Child Maintenance Service - a government scheme a private arrangement between you and the other parent You need to have child maintenance arrangements for ...
    • Child Maintenance: Calculations

      If you need to calculate how much your child maintenance should be then you can use the child maintenance calculator on the Government website. The calculator: gives you an amount to discuss with the other parent if you’re arranging child maintenance ...
    • Child Maintenance: Information

      Overview Child maintenance is an arrangement between you and the other parent of your child. It covers how your child’s living costs will be paid for when one of the parents no longer lives with them. It’s made when you’ve separated from the other ...
    • Child Maintenance Service: Complain

      If you are unhappy with the service you have received from the Child Maintenance Service then you may wish to make a complaint. There is more information on the Government website. Find out about making a Child Maintenance Service complaint ...
    • Consent Order: Child Arrangements

      What is a Consent Order? If you and your ex partner agree on child arrangements but you would like a legal document to formalise your agreement then you can apply for a consent order. A consent order is a legal document that confirms your agreement. ...

    About Dads Unlimited

    Dads Unlimited supports the emotional safety of men and those they care about through three key areas; supporting male victims of domestic abuse, supporting men with family separation; and supporting men’s mental health. All of our services use an evidence-based, trauma-informed, person-centred approach. You can find out more on our website

    If you register with Dads Unlimited, you agree to be bound by our privacy policy.