Can I take my child on holiday out of the country

Can I take my child abroad?

Taking your child out of the country for a holiday or otherwise depends on a few factors including whether or not there is a court order in place.

Under the Child Abduction Act 1984, it is a criminal offence for a parent to take a child under the age of 16 out of the UK without the appropriate consent. Fail to get permission and you could be jailed for child abduction.

If you do not have a court order in place then you need the permission of everyone who has parental responsibility.

If you have a child arrangements order which states that the child should live with you, then you can take them abroad for a maximum of 28 days without needing to gain permission from the other parties with Parental Responsibility, unless the court order says that you can't or places a restriction on taking the child or children out of the country/jurisdiction.

You can take a child abroad on holiday if there is a Specific Issue court order in place allowing you to do so. In order to obtain one, you will need to prove to the court that the trip is in the best interest of the child. Go to court prepared with your date of departure, date of return, means of travel and other pertinent details, including background  information on your separation. 
    • Related Articles

    • Consent Order: Child Arrangements

      Consent Order What is a Consent Order? If you and your ex partner agree on child arrangements but you would like a legal document to formalise your agreement then you can apply for a consent order. A consent order is a legal document that confirms ...
    • Child Maintenance: Variation: Expenses

      The following information is taken from the Child Maintenance Service leaflet ' How we work out child maintenance'. A link is provided at the bottom. Expenses a paying parent can ask to be considered A paying parent can ask to take certain expenses ...
    • Child Maintenance: Information

      Overview Child maintenance is an arrangement between you and the other parent of your child. It covers how your child’s living costs will be paid for when one of the parents no longer lives with them. It’s made when you’ve separated from the other ...
    • Child Maintenance: Calculations

      If you need to calculate how much your child maintenance should be then you can use the child maintenance calculator on the Government website. The calculator: gives you an amount to discuss with the other parent if you’re arranging child maintenance ...
    • Child Maintenance Service: Complain

      If you are unhappy with the service you have received from the Child Maintenance Service then you may wish to make a complaint. There is more information on the Government website. Find out about making a Child Maintenance Service complaint ...

    About Dads Unlimited

    Dads Unlimited is a charity that supports mental health for men. We work with Dads to create positive co-parenting environments to improve the lives of the children of separated families and we work with male-victims of domestic abuse. You can find out more on our website

    If you register with Dads Unlimited you agree to be bound by our privacy policy.