Applying for Parental Responsibility as a Stepparent

Applying for Parental Responsibility as a Stepparent

There are occasions when a stepparent may wish to apply to have parental responsibility. This may be because one of the biological parents has died or is not part of the child/children's lives.
Take the agreement to your local family court where it can be signed and witnessed.
Also take the child’s birth certificate and proof of your identity, like a passport or driving licence.

It's important to note that all the people with existing parental responsibility must agree to the additional person gaining parental responsibility. If they do not agree then you would need to ask the court to determine a decision on whether to award parental responsibility or not. If you want parental responsibility but cannot agree on arrangements with the mother, you can apply for a court order.

A court order costs £215.

You may be able to get help with court fees if you’re on benefits or have a low income.

Send this to your local family court.
    • Related Articles

    • Who has Parental Responsibility?

      A mother automatically has parental responsibility for her child from birth. A father usually has parental responsibility if he’s either: married to the child’s mother listed on the birth certificate (after a certain date, depending on which part of ...
    • What is Parental Responsibility?

      All mothers and most fathers have legal rights and responsibilities as a parent - known as ‘parental responsibility’. If you have parental responsibility, your most important roles are to: provide a home for the child protect and maintain the child ...
    • Step-parents applying for Child Arrangements Orders

      Step-parents who are married to the mother/father can also apply for CAO orders (even if they do not have Parental Responsibility) but they cannot apply for Specific Issue or Prohibited Steps Orders or apply to discharge the unmarried father's ...
    • Guide for Schools dealing with Parental Responsibility

      The Government has published guidance to schools for dealing with Parental Responsibility and separated parents to help schools understand their obligations and duties in relation to the rights and responsibilities of parents, as recognised by ...
    • Parental Responsibility: Case Law

      AvA [2004] EWHC 142 You can read the full judgment in context here: link. Decisions that could be taken independently and without any consultation or notification to the other parent. How the children are to spend their time during contact Personal ...

    About Dads Unlimited

    Dads Unlimited is a charity that supports mental health for men. We work with Dads to create positive co-parenting environments to improve the lives of the children of separated families and we work with male-victims of domestic abuse. You can find out more on our website

    If you register with Dads Unlimited you agree to be bound by our privacy policy.