Applying for a Divorce

Applying for a Divorce

How to apply

To apply for a divorce you’ll need:

  • your husband or wife’s full name and address
  • your original marriage certificate or a certified copy (and a certified translation if it’s not in English)
  • proof of your name change if you’ve changed it since you got married - for example your marriage certificate or a deed poll

You must try to find your husband or wife’s current address if you do not know it. The court will need it to send them a copy of the divorce petition.

If you name the person your husband or wife committed adultery with, they’ll get copies of the paperwork.


You must pay a £550 fee to apply for a divorce. The way you pay depends on how you apply.

You may be able to get help with fees if you get benefits or are on a low income.

Apply online

You can apply for a divorce online.

You’ll need a debit or credit card to apply online.

Apply by post

Fill in a divorce application form D8 (‘divorce petition’) to start a divorce.

Send 3 copies of the form to your nearest divorce centre. They’ll send one copy to your husband or wife.

You need to send 4 copies if you named someone your husband or wife committed adultery with.

Keep your own copy of the forms.

How to pay

You can either pay by:

  • debit or credit card - the divorce centre will call you to take payment
  • cheque - made payable to ‘HM Courts and Tribunals Service’

What happens next

Your application will be checked. If it’s correct, you’ll be sent:

  • a notice that your application has been issued (sent out)
  • a copy of your application stamped by the divorce centre
  • a case number

Your husband or wife will be sent a copy of your application and an ‘acknowledgement of service’ form.

If you named someone your husband or wife committed adultery with, they’ll also be sent a copy of the application and be asked to respond.

The acknowledgement of service asks if your husband or wife:

  • intends to try to prevent the divorce (defend it)
  • object to paying the costs (if you’ve claimed them)

Your husband or wife must respond within 8 days.

This content is available under the Open Government Licence v3.0,

    • Related Articles

    • Grounds for divorce

      Grounds for divorce When you apply for a divorce you’ll need to prove that your marriage has broken down. You’ll need to give one or more of the following 5 reasons. Adultery Your husband or wife had sexual intercourse with someone else of the ...
    • Divorce Forms / Process

      You can find information on how to file for divorce on this UK Government website:
    • Step-parents applying for Child Arrangements Orders

      Step-parents who are married to the mother/father can also apply for CAO orders (even if they do not have Parental Responsibility) but they cannot apply for Specific Issue or Prohibited Steps Orders or apply to discharge the unmarried father's ...
    • Applying for Parental Responsibility as a Stepparent

      There are occasions when a stepparent may wish to apply to have parental responsibility. This may be because one of the biological parents has died or is not part of the child/children's lives. Use form C(PRA2): Ask the court to witness your ...
    • Applying for a Child Arrangements Order (CAO) - Information on Mediation

      In order to apply for a Child Arrangements Order (CAO), you must first attempt mediation - specifically, you both must attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM). You can find your local family mediator using the search form on the ...

    About Dads Unlimited

    Dads Unlimited is a charity that supports separated families. We work with Mums, Dads, Grandparents, and Guardians to create positive co-parenting environments to improve the lives of the children of separated families. You can find out more on our website

    If you register with Dads Unlimited you agree to be bound by our privacy policy.