Applying for a Child Arrangements Order (CAO) - Information on Mediation

Applying for a Child Arrangements Order (CAO) - Information on Mediation

In order to apply for a Child Arrangements Order (CAO), you must first attempt mediation - specifically, you both must attend a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM).

You can find your local family mediator using the search form on the Family Mediation Council Website - make sure you tick the box that says 'qualified to sign court forms':

You may also be eligible for the Government's £500 mediation contribution voucher. Check out

    • Related Articles

    • Consent Order: Child Arrangements

      Consent Order What is a Consent Order? If you and your ex partner agree on child arrangements but you would like a legal document to formalise your agreement then you can apply for a consent order. A consent order is a legal document that confirms ...
    • Child Arrangements Order (CAO) Application

      To apply for a court order to make arrangements for a child or to resolve a dispute about their upbringing you need to complete the form C100. Check if you can apply using the online version of the C100 court form here   ...
    • MIAM Exemptions (Mediation)

      To apply to a court for a Child Arrangements Order you must first have attempted Mediation - specifically to have attended a Mediation Information and Assessment Meeting (MIAM) unless one of the reasons from the list below applies to your situation. ...
    • What does a Child Arrangements Court Order look like?

      It's difficult to know what to expect from a Child Arrangements Order court hearing as they are all private and confidential and therefore the court orders are never generally seen by anyone outside of the hearing themselves (the applicant, the ...
    • Step-parents applying for Child Arrangements Orders

      Step-parents who are married to the mother/father can also apply for CAO orders (even if they do not have Parental Responsibility) but they cannot apply for Specific Issue or Prohibited Steps Orders or apply to discharge the unmarried father's ...

    About Dads Unlimited

    Dads Unlimited is a charity that supports mental health for men. We work with Dads to create positive co-parenting environments to improve the lives of the children of separated families and we work with male-victims of domestic abuse. You can find out more on our website

    If you register with Dads Unlimited you agree to be bound by our privacy policy.